Most of us need to download something from websites on a Windows PC. After downloading, files, software, and programs will be automatically saved to the default Windows download folder where you can easily access most downloaded files and data. However, sometimes we want to clean some unnecessary files, but may accidentally delete important files in the download folders. If you delete or lose some downloaded files or folders, don’t panic and you can try to find and recover them in Windows. In this article, we will show you how to recover deleted downloads and download folders on your Windows.
Why can’t I find my download folders?
Normally, you can go through your download files in the download folder on Windows. Navigate to the default download folder: C:\Users\your_name\Downloads, or any other download folder location you set through your browser. If you can’t find them, you may face these situations:
- You choose another folder to save your documents.
- You accidentally delete the documents and empty the recycle bin.
- You permanently delete the document folder.
- Your browser crashed and you can’t access the data.
- Virus attacks cause data loss.
Find your deleted downloads in the Downloads folder
You can choose a different folder to save your downloads. If this happens, you may find the file in the wrong place. When you download files in the browser, there are some saved download history. Once you can’t find the file on the computer, you can go back to the browser and find it. Here you can do:
- Open your browser, and choose “Settings” or “Options” on the sidebar.
- Find “Downloads” or “Download Options” in the settings.
- Check the path where you store downloaded files.
- Open this folder and look for your files.
Or you can go through the download history and open the document you need. If it doesn’t work, you need to try the next method.
Restore the file from the Recycle Bin
If you delete the downloaded documents and accidentally download the folder, you need to restore it from the recycle bin. This occurs when you delete unnecessary documents but remove some important ones. It is not a big problem, because you can get it back from the recycling bin.
- Open the Recycle Bin from the desktop.
- Look for the file or folder you want to retrieve.
- Right-click on it and select “Restore” when you find it.
- Here you can see your deleted file.
I sincerely hope you can restore your deleted downloaded documents or folders to the recycle bin. Otherwise, you need to spend more time getting your files back.
Redownload the file in the browser
Unfortunately, you permanently delete the document or accidentally empty the recycle bin. Then you can choose to redownload the document from the browser.
- If you still remember how to get the downloaded files on your computer, you can use the same method as before: Search the key word in the browser, find the document you need and download it on your computer.
- Or you can go directly through the download history to redownload it.
- If you find the downloaded file showing “Deleted”, it may get lost. You need to check the URL under the filename, copy this path and paste it into your browser. Here you can quickly get the deleted download back.
However, if the link is missing or there is no document available in the browser as you have done before, you must try another way to recover your deleted documents and document folders in Windows.
Recover Deleted Download with Data Recovery Software
If you use the above methods and can’t retrieve deleted download documents or download folders, you need to use data recovery software to help you quickly recover permanently deleted important download files. Since there are many data recovery tools on the market, it’s a bit difficult to choose the best one. Here you can try ONERECOVERY high-tech data recovery software. It provides an effective way to recover lost, deleted or even corrupted files from your Windows PC, Mac, hard drive, etc. With three simple and user-friendly steps, you can retrieve lost data from the computer.
- Download and run ONERECOVERY on your Windows.
- Select a location to start data recovery.
- Scan the data store on your device that contains this lost data. Here you can choose a deep scan mode (deep scan all lost files) or a quick scan mode (quickly get lost files).
- After scanning, you can preview the recoverable data to verify the accuracy of the result.
- Once you have got the right document or the document folder, and click ‘Recover’ button to recover it.
There you go. This professional data recovery software for Windows helps you recover valuable deleted download data from accidental and permanent deletion.
Restore Deleted Downloads from File History
If you always have a backup plan, such as File History enabled, you can quickly retrieve old versions of your files. Here’s how:
- Locate the Downloads folder.
- Right-click the file, click Properties > Previous Versions.
- Browse and find the previous version that you want back in the list.
- Once you have selected the file, click Restore option.
- Now you have successfully restored your deleted Downloads folder.
Once you have File History enabled, it is a great backup feature that can be used to restore the Downloads folder on Windows. However, if you don’t enable it before you lose your downloads and download folders, the only solution for you to get the deleted lost files back is the data recovery tool.
After reading this article, feel free if you can’t find download files or download folders on Windows PC. We have shown you some different ways to recover your deleted or lost download files. Try the suggestions step by step before giving up your download files. I hope you finally get your important deleted files back.
I’m a tech enthusiast specializing in computer repair and data processing. Outside of fixing gadgets, I love penning articles on computer science. Currently, I’m diving deep into AI and data recovery tech. I’m all about staying on top of the latest in these fields. Excited to bring my passion and skills to the table and collaborate on cool projects!