Last Update Date: Jan 9, 2024
How do you recover individual messages that have been automatically deleted in a chat on Snapchat that you have forgotten to save?
Snapchat is one of the most popular social media apps nowadays for sending and receiving snapshots, videos, and messages. The most unique feature of Snapchat is that sent photos and videos are automatically deleted from the recipient’s device after a set period. This self-destruction feature offers users with a higher level of privacy protection. However, if you haven’t had a chance to store them and want to know how to recover them. You have come to the right place. This article will discuss how to recover Snapchat messages on iPhone.
How Does Snapchat Delete a Snap or Chat?
By default, Snapchat will delete the chats or messages immediately once they are checked or read (10 seconds normally when they are opened). Thankfully, you can change the default setting by navigating to chat setting > delete chats to set 24 hours after viewing. If the chats are not opened for 30 days, the Snapchat server will trash them automatically.
Similarly, Snapchat will delete a snap automatically once each recipient checks it. However, if the chats are left unopened. the server will delete them too.
Can Snapchat Messages be Recovered?
Yes, even if Snapchat messages will self-destruct after a certain time, it’s still possible to recover these snaps or messages. Both inbuilt options and reliable software are available to choose from.
How To Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages from an iPhone
With the right tools, you can recover deleted conversations or messages in simple steps. In this session, we’ll walk you through the steps to retrieving vanished Snapchats with or without a computer. The process involves fully backing up your iPhone and then scanning the backup to find the deleted files. Follow along carefully and get back your precious documents.
Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on iPhone with My Data
Although Snapchat removes messages from its servers 24 hours after they have been seen or received by the receiver, through a formal request, you can still retrieve some Snapchat data. Snapchat provides users a chance to download their data from the Snapchat website via email, including public profiles, Snap History, saved chat history, memories, etc.
Tip: This method requires a waiting time of one day or two days.
- Visit the Snapchat My Data webpage with a computer. (You will be asked to log in using your Snapchat account during this process.)
- Click My Data > click Submit Request at the bottom of the page.
- You will receive an email from the Snapchat server with a link, download your data from this link.
- The download files are in the form of a zip. So, you may need to decompress it.
Also, you can use your iPhone to get on the website to My Date to make a request.
Save Your Snapchat Messages Manually
The most hassle-free way to retrieve deleted chats is to save your Snapchat messages. Simply preserve the messages you want and access them anytime within the program. This option eliminates the need to contact Snapchat support for message recovery and wait for days until you get a copy of chats.
- Launch Snapchat on your iPhone. > Go to the chat screen.
- Tab Chat button from the up-left corner of the screen > find someone you can chat with > type your message in > tap on the Send button.
- Tap the message you want to save (this message will turn into a bold message and be colored Grey. So the message will not be deleted after you go offline.)
- Tap the message again, it will vanish within 10 seconds (if you don’t want to keep it any longer you can do this.)
By using this method, you can keep your Snapchat messages intact and don’t need to bother to search for solutions to recover them.
Recover Snapchat Messages with Data Recovery Software
If the above-mentioned options fail, you can try a reliable recovery tool like ONERECOVERY. Unlike My Data, it does not require you to contact the support team. It can provide instant Snapchat message recovery even if you don’t have an iCloud or iTunes backup for your iPhone. Its intuitive interface makes it easy to recover deleted texts, snap memories, Snapchat photos, and various types of data on your iPhone. To see deleted Snapchat messages, simply follow these steps.
Step 1. Connect your iPhone to your computer > launch ONERECOVERY, and choose your device to scan.
Step 2. Preview the results and select deleted Snapchat messages to recover.
Step 3. Save your messages to a new location.
How to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on iPhone without Computer?
If you are not ready to recover Snapchat texts on your PC, it’s easier to extract messages from iPhone backup or employ a File Manager app. Let’s see how to recover Snap messages without a computer.
Recover Snapchat Messages from iCloud Backup
Apple comes with iCloud and iTunes backup features for users to restore their data. So, if you have enabled these two features, you can recover your Snapchat messages from backup files easily. Steps to recover Snap messages from iCloud:
Tip: The backed-up data will overwrite present data on your iPhone, so please save another copy of the important files on your iPhone.
- Go to Settings on iPhone > General > Reset > Erase All content and Settings (you will see a pop-up window prompt asking to set up a new iPhone.)
- Select Restore from iCloud Backup > log in with your iCloud ID > select an iCloud Backup, which contains Snapchat to restore.
See Snapchat Messages from iTunes Backup
- Connect your iPhone to your computer, which contains your backed-up iPhone files.
- Run iTunes on your computer > click Restore iPhone.
- Choose a backup file that contains Snapchat messages to restore the iPhone > wait to finish the whole process.
Recover Snapchat messages with File Manager
With File Manager program, you can see deleted Snapchat messages in the .nomedia file without installing any third-party recovery tools. Steps to retrieve deleted messages on iPhone are as follows:
- Install and open a files manager app on your iPhone.
- Locate files with the .nomedia extension and select each file
- Delete the .nomedia extension from the files
- Once finished, you can see the old Snapchat messages.
FAQ about Snapchat Message Recovery
How Long Do the Messages on Snapchat Last?
Snap chats, photos and videos are only available for up to 24 hours after they are viewed. However, you can still view the snaps that you save the messages manually.
When You Unfriend Someone on Snapchat Do the Messages Delete?
When you unfriend someone from your Snapchat friends list, any unopened messages from that person will be automatically deleted. However, any message sent before unfriending can be viewed by that person in their Chats tab.
Does Snapchat Have a Recycle Bin on iPhone?
No, Snapchat does not have a recycle bin on iPhone. However, you can access Trash folder by going to Snapchat Settings > Trash.
How to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on Android?
Android devices come with cache feature that temporaily store essential information and help operate the same program when it’s opened again. You can try using this feature to retrieve deleted messages.
- Step 1. Go to File Manager > Internal Storage > Android > Data
- Step 2. Locate and open the folder with the name “com.snapchat.android”
- Step 3. Find various directories and subdirectories in this folder.
- Step 4. Access “nomedia” folder and see deleted Snapchat messages. Then rename the files and remove the “.nomedia” extension to recover Snap messages.
Follow this simple guide and learn how to recover deleted Snapchat messages on iPhone. Simply contact Snapchat support for message recovery or extract messages from iCloud or iTunes backup. If these options do not work for you, you can use a professional data recovery software like ONERECOVERY to get back your preicous Snap messages or texts.
I am a content writer specializing in the technology and data fields. With over 5 years of writing expertise, I have produced clear, engaging content to communicate complex information to a variety of audiences. I am skilled at translating technical concepts about the latest software, AI systems, data recovery, file and video repair, and digital trends into easily understandable language for the average reader. My articles and copy bring clarity to murky tech topics through the use of metaphors, analogies, and strategic explanations.